access to justice
Medical Devices
Prescription Drugs
Vehicle Accidents
Women’s Health
Home » Children, cpsc, Toys

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Issues Warning on Small Magnet Toys

Submitted by on November 14, 2011 – 12:06 pmNo Comment

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Issues Warning on Small Magnet Toys

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a safety alert on mini-magnet toys for the holiday season. According to the safety alert, if a child swallows two or more small magnets, the magnets will not necessarily pass through the body. Instead, the magnets can magnetize through the intestinal wall, possibly “creating perforations, blockage and twisting in the intestines, plus infection, blood poisoning and death.”

The CPSC is aware of “at least 33 cases where children swallowed loose magnets and required emergency surgery.” It is recommended that if a child has swallowed magnets, they seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of magnets in the intestines include abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.

Some toys containing small, powerful magnets, such as Magtastik and Magnetix Pre-School Magnetic Toys, have already been recalled because of the dangers they pose to children. The CPSC urges parents to keep all small magnetic toys away from children and to regularly check their childrens’ toys for missing or dislodged magnets. Learn more about Lieff Cabraser’s representation of parents whose children have been injured by dangerous and defective children’s toys.